League ChampionshipChampionship – teamtalk.com 22 Feb 18:19
English Football League clubs have voted to bring forward the deadline for completing permanent deals in the summer transfer window, the governing body has announced.
EFL teams will now be unable to sign players from other clubs beyond 5pm on August 9 in a move that is aligned with the decision Premier League clubs opted to take in September.
The 72 sides in the Championship, League One and League Two will still be able to loan players in until the end of August, while they can also offload members of their squad to a club in any league where their window remains open.
“After discussing the options throughout the course of the last few months, I’m pleased that the matter has been determined by clubs ahead of the start of next season,” EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said.
“This new approach will give clubs and managers the stability they crave earlier in the season whilst also providing the flexibility to add to their squads after the traditional deadline until the end of month if required.”
Though the revised deadline day for both will be the same, the window will close for Premier League teams before their domestic season begins, with the EFL stating that the date falls on the Thursday after the opening round of league fixtures for its members.
The EFL also announced clubs had voted for a new policy with regards to the definition of a ‘full-strength team’ following the controversy surrounding Birmingham’s win over Huddersfield in April.
Terriers boss David Wagner made 10 changes for the contest after Huddersfield had already secured a play-off spot, and relegation-threatened Blues secured a 2-0 victory.
Birmingham would survive and finish two points clear of the bottom three while Huddersfield, who were ultimately not punished, secured promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.
The new guidance states: “For any League match played on or after the 4th Thursday in March (including season 2017-18), any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League match before.”
The EFL also reiterated its stance on artificial pitches and stated any National League team that wins promotion to League Two must agree to use a grass surface.
Should that criteria not be met by the nominated date, the club that finishes 23rd in League Two, and would otherwise by relegated, would retain their place in the division.
Leeds have announced they will be releasing a new badge after fans reacted with dismay to a design which had been revealed to mark the club’s centenary.
The crest, which the club said celebrated “fans at the heart of our identity”, depicted a supporter doing the so-called Leeds salute – but thousands of supporters soon signed a petition calling for it to be scrapped.
Following the subsequent “volume of ideas and designs submitted by fans”, Leeds confirmed in a statement on the club’s official website a new crest, voted on by supporters, would be introduced on the shirt for the 2019/2020 centenary campaign “and beyond”.
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank all fans for the inspiration they have provided which, following further consultation with supporters’ groups, will form the basis of a democratic vote later this year,” the club statement added.
“We look forward to our loyal and passionate fans selecting a crest that will proudly herald in the next 100 years.”
Leeds had promised a rethink following the largely negative reception from supporters when their new crest design had been made public at the end of January.
Fans and players often put their right fist over their heart as a sign of their support for the Yorkshire club.
But despite a six-month process during which the Sky Bet Championship club says they consulted 10,000 people, the reaction from supporters suggests the final result may have been wide of the mark.
A petition on change.org, ‘Stop LUFC from Implementing the Leeds Salute Crest’, was swiftly set up – and within hours thousands of disgruntled fans had signed it, with the current tally close to some 78,000.
One of the Championship’s most in-demand stars, Ryan Sessegnon, has already agreed terms on a £50million move to the Premier League this summer, according to Leroy Rosenior.
The 17-year-old wing-back has a growing army of admirers and has become a major part of Slavisa Jokanovic’s side at Craven Cottage as the Cottagers embark on another push towards promotion back to the Premier League.
But regardless if their bid for a return to the Premier League is successful, Rosenior reckons Sessegnon has already agreed to move on, with Tottenham reported to be leading Manchester United and Liverpool for the teenager’s £50million signature.
“I think that a deal has been done for Ryan as teams have been in for him,”pundit Rosenior said on James Richardson’s Totally Football Show.
“It’s a Premier League side with strong rumours of Tottenham. I wouldn’t be surprised if other sides have been in for him as well.
“He’s stays at Fulham before moving in the summer. His future is already mapped out.
“Ryan has great potential. He is one of those players who you think he’s not a left-back and not a left-winger.
“He could be an amazing player.”
Despite his tender years, Sessegnon has already racked up 65 appearances for the Cottagers, scoring 19 times.
Like our dedicated Tottenham Facebook page for the latest news to your timeline
More from Planet Sport: The day Federer and Agassi played the coolest tennis match in history. (Tennis365)
The post Pundit says Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool target has move agreed appeared first on teamtalk.com.Championship – teamtalk.com 22 Feb 09:45
The post ‘I chose Indonesia over Champ; what else can I achieve in UK?’ – PF appeared first on teamtalk.com.Championship – teamtalk.com 22 Feb 09:26
A Tottenham star insists he is not interested in moving to Real Madrid this summer, while Arsene Wenger has urged an Arsenal striker to sign a new contract, according to Thursday’s papers.
SPURS STAR TO TURN DOWN REAL
Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez has insisted that he is not interested in a move to Real Madrid this summer.
The club’s record signing, who joined from Ajax for £42million last summer, is among a number of players to have been linked with a move to Real as the Spanish giants look to revamp their squad after a disappointing season domestically.
The 21-year-old has had an impressive first season in the Premier League, despite the odd slip-up along the way, and has even kept the returning Toby Alderweireld out of the side as Spurs have embarked on an impressive run of form.
Like our dedicated Tottenham Facebook page for the latest news to your timeline
However, despite links to La Liga, Sanchez admits he is happy in London, according to a report in the Daily Mirror.
He said: “I do not think about money or where it is. Right now, here in Tottenham I am very good. I am playing every three to four days. I am being important in the team.
“As big as Madrid is, no matter how big a team are, that has won what they have won, if the conditions are not favourable for me, unfortunately I cannot accept.”
AND THE REST
Several European clubs have been contacted by a representative of Paul Pogba amid speculation over the Frenchman’s future at Old Trafford (Daily Mirror)
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger wants England striker Danny Welbeck, 27, to sign a new contract (Daily Mail)
Manchester City target Fred has admitted to being flattered by compliments from Pep Guardiola (Daily Mirror)
Skipper Simon Francis wants to see out the remainder of his career at Bournemouth (Daily Mirror)
RB Leipzig are plotting to snatch Tottenham’s best prospects following the arrival of talent-spotter Paul Mitchell (Daily Mail)
Harry Maguire is ready to disappoint Man City boss Pep Guardiola – by pledging his future to Leicester (The Sun)
France boss Didier Deschamps has questioned Jose Mourinho’s decision to drop Paul Pogba (The Sun)
Arsenal are favourites with the bookies to sign Lyon star Nabil Fekir (Daily Star)
Real Madrid want Thibaut Courtois to stall on signing a new Chelsea contract until April as the goalkeeper prepares to go head-to-head with another of the Spaniards’ targets, David de Gea. (Daily Telegraph)
West Brom are closely monitoring Ostersunds FK manager Graham Potter amid speculation over Alan Pardew’s future at the Hawthorns (Daily Mail)
Manchester United are keen on Dinamo Zagreb’s 19-year-old Croatian midfielder Nikola Moro, who has been described as the ‘new Luka Modric’ (Talksport)
Atletico Madrid’s 24-year-old Belgian forward Yannick Carrasco is close to joining Chinese club Dalian Yifang for about 30m euros (£26.4m)
Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, 30, is wanted by four French clubs including Lyon and Paris St-Germain
Mark Clattenburg is in talks to make a stunning return to referee again in England (Daily Express)
The post Paper Talk: Spurs star to snub Real; Wenger makes Welbeck plea appeared first on teamtalk.com.BBC Sport | Football | Championship | World Edition 10 Aug 13:09